3 years ago
Sunday, January 3, 2010
We Made it!
Well, we are finally here! it has been a very long two days of travel, but overall we survived just fine! Our day started at about 4am on Saturday. We arrived to the airport 3 hours early just in case there were delays from the recent events in Detroit....it took us a whopping 4 minutes to get checked in and go through security! I have to admit, I was a little unnerved that no one even asked us for ID and they had to turn on the X-ray machine (since we were apparently the first ones there for our airline)! I am hoping they were a little more on top of the ball as the morning went on...Scary! We spent the next few hours relaxing (it was nice not to be rushed) before boarding our first flight. It was a little sad as we departed....there were at least a dozen Army soldiers that boarded our plane and it was gut wrenching to watch them say goodbye to family and friends and in some cases their children...tears all around (myself included)! What an amazing group of young men and women (and I mean young, most of them looked like they were 15!) ...Stay safe everyone! Our flight to Chicago was great! Smooth and short! We actually spent longer taxiing around O'Hare than we were in the air. We had plenty of time to re-check in (this time they did check our passports) with Korean air and we spent our wait walking up and down the halls to stretch our legs. I have to say, I can not imagine taking the looooonnnngggg flight to Korea on any other airline! Korean Air was great!! We each had our own entertainment center/tv, the food was great (first ever for an airline) and the service was amazing! I watched 4 different movies I had been wanting to see, listened to soothing music while I slept, and played a little Tetris when I got bored. I have never really been able to read on a plane without getting sick, so having this type of entertainment was heaven sent! The only bad things about the flight (other than overall time) was the fact that I sat next to what appeared to be the only "sick" person on the plane....coughing and sneezing the whole way, but the topper was when the lady in front of me put back her seat and knocked over the very full glass of sprite that was on my tray all over my lap! I had to sit the last 6 1/2 hours of the flight with a soaking wet lap and seat!! Quite embarrassing to walk to the bathroom looking like I messed myself! The flight attendants provided me with a blanket to sit on, but the damage was done. I never really did dry completely, and didn't have relief from the sticky wet jeans until we got to the hotel!! Oh well...never thought I would be so laid back over an entire glass of pop in my lap! The Somerset Palace (our hotel) is fantastic so far! Lovely room and beautiful view of the down town area. We can see a place to ice skate outside from our room that appears to be very popular. Maybe we will find time to get down there one evening this week! What we could see of the city was beautiful, all lit up down town for the holidays. It is amazingly crowded on the streets, the population of New York City in 2/3 the space! I am so looking forward to tomorrow! We'll have breakfast in the hotel then on to Holt to meet Christopher!! I can hardly believe this day is finally here!! I will try to keep everyone posted and take lots of pictures. I have rambled enough for today, and I can hardly keep my eyes open, so off to bed I go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yippee! So excited that you're there! Isn't Korean Air the *best*?! Sorry about the Sprite incident.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about your first meeting.
Yeah you are there. Let the fun begin. Have a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteLove ya,