Monday, April 4, 2011

Orlando - Chapter 4: Disney's Animal Kingdom

The next stop on our whirlwind tour - Disney's Animal Kingdom! We were super excited to visit the Animal Kingdom since it was the first time any of us had ever been to this particular park (and well, I think it is safe to say that we are animal people - he he)! Our day started off with a visit from Goofy right by the front gates! Christopher may not have been much of a fan before, but he is definitely a Goofy fanatic now!! Just look at that boy smile! I think he even squealed a few times!
I LOVED the Tree of Life (the iconic centerpiece of the park)
.

Just look at that amazing tree! I have seen photos before but they certainly don't do justice to how beautiful and intricate the carving on it are. It is just breathtaking up close. I think I could spend an entire day just looking at each individual carving! If you click on the picture you can see some of the detail a little better, but like I said...pictures just don't do it justice!


We had especially warm and beautiful weather this day and had a great time exploring each of the different themed areas. Along the way we saw all sorts of critters!

Like these napping hippos...aren't they cute!

Christopher got a high five from Tarzan's Terk
Seriously loving these little cuties. I wish they were hiking through our woods at home!
Here kitty kitty.....

I think this is the cutest duck I have ever seen! I wanted to smuggle him home...and I think he liked me!

We watched the Gorillas for a long time and learned all about them from a great Disney cast member who was there to answer questions.

Then, an amazing thing happened. This big guy decided that something way up high looked a little tastier than the available snacks, so he leaped up in the air to catch a high branch! The guide was shocked and said she has been working there for 10 years with the gorillas and has never seen one jump like that before! Check out the air on this jump! What a cool moment to be there!

At Camp Minnie Mickey we finally met the big cheese(s) in person! They were a hit with our little man!

How about a kiss?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that we have a life long Disney nut on our hands now! Whoo hoo!

Christopher had a blast watching the parade and we cooled off with a little frozen Lemonade...yum!

We had a brief traumatic moment when Donald Duck's float drove by and shot a jet (not a mist or a little spray..it was a jet) of water right into Christopher's face!
My poor baby was shocked and cried! I nearly did too seeing him so upset on such a great day!
Not cool Donald, not cool!

He is a trooper though and no jet of water to the face was going to spoil this little man's day.... especially since our next stop was a train ride! ...I think it is safe to say that he enjoyed the train!!
We took a break to have a little lunch overlooking the beautiful "Mt Everest"

The Asia area had some of the best food we had on our entire trip! Mmmmmm! And a fabulous view to top it all off. It really felt like we were on an adventure clear across the world!

One of my favorite parts of the whole park was the Africa Safari expedition. We all piled into little safari vehicles and traveled an open air animal sanctuary where the animals were literally feet away! It was fabulous, and our driver gave us a great authentic safari ride with lots of bumps and speedy turns. It was a blast! This is one of the little vehicles we rode in behind a huge termite mound...
We had a great view since we were in the last row, so we could turn around to get some extra parting photo shots!

How cool is this, an ostrich crossing the road just in front of a herd of rhinos!

This big guy actually got a little too close to the vehicle and our driver slammed on the gas to zip past him! I was giddy! What an adventure!

Our last stop was Rafiki's Planet Watch

(you must be this tall to enter...he he)

We got up close and personal with lots of baby reptiles and amphibians.

Here is Christopher doing his best gorilla impression - Grrrrr!

We even spent time brushing the farm animals.

This sheep was so cool. We were told he had been around since the park opened and was now quite old and blind. The animal handlers would shake a tamborine and he would follow them back to the barn at meal times. I have a whole new level of respect for Disney knowing that they understand the value of older and "imperfect" animals and they have a permanent home there even when getting on in years. What a great example Disney is setting for us all!


The park closed early, and I think we were one of the last visitors around as we waited for the last train to take us back to the main area. These little elephants were at the train station and I took a dozen pictures trying to get one in focus. I Love this one...Did you get the picture yet mom? Sheesh, come on already!

What a great day! I was definitely sad to leave, but I know we will be back again. The Animal Kingdom is definitely on my list of favorites now!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics!!! The tree of life is one of my favorites too!!! Glad you guys had such a great day!! Hooray for another Disney fan!!!! :) Welcome to the club Christopher!!!

    ReplyDelete